There are many investment avenues that you can use to create wealth for your financial goals. Among the different avenues, stock trading is quite popular among investors. Stock trading, in the simplest form, means buying and selling stocks from the stock market. It is a popular mode of investment because –
- It has a high return potential
- It can create wealth over long-term horizons
- It is a highly liquid avenue
Moreover, the stock trading activity is done online through an online Demat account. You can place buy and sell orders through a licensed broker to trade in stocks.
Thanks to the development of technology, the advent of the internet, and the increased use of Smartphones, your trusted brokers are now available right at your fingertips.
Yes, you heard it right! Stockbrokers have developed their own apps that allow stock trading through your Smartphones. This is not only convenient but quite simple too.
There are dozens of stock trading apps on the market. But which is the best stock market app?
Best stock market apps for investment:
- Motilal Oswal:
- How to start investing with these apps:
- The Koppr app – making a difference in stock trading:
Here are 6 of the best app for the stock market which you can consider for your stock trading journey. You can easily compare and choose the best stock market apps for beginners among them.
Claiming to be the number one broker in India, Zerodha started its operations on the 15th of August 2010. Popular among traders, 6+ million clients place millions of orders through the application’s powerful ecosystem.
Zerodha contributes over 15 percent of all Indian retail trading volumes. According to Ashley Coutinho’s article written on 5th September 2021, Zerodha has 45,43,870 active clients which capture 19.09% of the market share.
Unique features of Zerodha
Here are some aspects which set Zerodha apart from the other stock market apps for beginners –
- Besides stocks, you can trade in futures and options, commodity derivatives, IPOs, bonds and Government securities, currency derivatives, etc.
- Zerodha was awarded Economic Times Start-up of the Year 2020
- You can learn the technicalities of stock trading with Zerodha’s Varsity, an educational platform for investors and beginners
- All investments that are delivery-based trading are completely free of cost.
- Flat INR 20 or 0.03 percent, whichever is lower will be executed per order for every intraday trades that are done across asset classes such as equity, commodity, or currency trades.
- All direct mutual fund investments are absolutely free.
- Offers you a brokerage calculator that helps you evaluate the fees and other taxes imposed on trading.
- Provides you with trading tools such as Kite, Console, Coin, Varsity mobile, and Sentinel for facilitating your trading.
- Zerodha’s interactive portal ‘Z-Connect’ covers almost every query of the client in form of blogs, illustrations, and interactive articles. Apart from that users can always reach out to Zerodha via email and phone.
- Trading in stocks is affordable if you follow the buy-and-hold approach. You don’t pay any brokerage on delivery trading.
- The account opening process consumes a lot of time.
- Covers only the Indian stock market.
- Credit / Debit cards cannot be used for deposits and withdrawals.
Groww intends to make investments in India, easy, fast, and transparent. It has 10 million-plus customers handled with 100+ team members. Backed by Ribbit Capital, Sequoia, Y Combinator, Kauffman Fellows, Propel Venture Partners, and Kairos, Groww is operated from Bengaluru.
Unique features of Groww
Here are some salient facts to know about Groww as a trading app –
- Besides stocks, Groww also allows you to invest in gold, mutual funds, US stocks, futures and options, and fixed deposits
- You can download the app on your Android phone, iPhone as well as on your computer and sync your account across platforms
- For any help, query, or feedback, you can connect with Groww’s efficient customer service department online.
- Account opening and maintenance are absolutely free with Groww.
- For equity brokerage, Groww charges INR 20 or 0.05 percent whichever is lower.
- For Futures and Options brokerage, Groww charges INR 20 per executed order.
- It has a simple pricing model.
- The application offers professional management of shares, real estate, gold, bonds, etc.
- Investing via UPI is possible.
- You can have portfolio insights by using Groww via the website.
- The service allows you to compare three mutual funds at the same time.
- Users can view their SIP history on the application.
- Groww’s investment products offer no option to trade in the commodity, and currency segments.
- It offers no call and trade services.
- Groww does not provide any stock tips, research reports, or recommendations.
- There is no margin trading facility or margin against shares.
Do you want to start your Stock Market journey? Enroll in our Free Stock Market Course and learn all about investing in stocks. Join Now
Started as an idea to make trading easier and cheaper, Upstox currently has 50,00,000+ investors. This platform is backed by Mr. Ratan Tata and Tiger Global management. Upstox Pro platform was launched with a big focus on mobile and powerful trading platforms in 2016. Since then, Upstox has committedly worked for making investments easy as well as accessible to everyone, not only via the web but also via mobile.
Unique features of Upstox
Backed by reputed names in the industry, Upstox also has the following salient aspects that investors should know about –
- With a single platform, Upstox allows you to trade in stocks, futures and options, NFOs, commodities, IPOs, and mutual funds
- Started in 2016, Upstox has delivered relevant solutions to lakhs of its customers
- You can open a Upstox account online with minimal hassles
- There are hundreds of charts and technical analysis tools that help you pick the right stocks to create a quality portfolio
- Upstox does not charge a single penny when trading mutual funds and IPOs.
- The platform charges INR 20 or 0.05 percent, whichever is lower on Equity Intraday, Futures, and Options, Currency, Commodity, as well as Equity Delivery.
You can check out the detailed brokerage rates on Equity, Currency as well as Commodities on Upstox’s website.
- Complete KYC procedure and IPV is available over the web. So, the work that usually takes one to two days or at times even weeks, gets done within minutes.
- Upstox provides you with all the tools you need while trading such as brokerage calculator, Span calculator, options builder tool, etc. All of these make trading with Upstox extremely easy.
- The platform answers all the queries of customers within a very short span of time. Users can also reach out to Upstox using its online ticketing system.
- Call and trade with Upstox are chargeable at INR 20 per trade.
- A particular order called Good Till Cancelled (GTC) is not supported in the Delivery segment.
With 750+ service managers, 3000+ Sharekhan centers in 600+ cities, Sharekhan’s human as well as an online network helps you trade effortlessly. The platform is backed by BNP Paribas – a French international banking group, the largest bank in Europe, and seventh-largest in the world when calculated based on total assets.
Sharekhan is the 3rd largest stockbroker in India. Its services are not only limited to retail customers but also expanded to institutions. The platform has designed attractive prepaid trading plans for high volume customer that reduces brokerage fee notably.
Unique features of Sharekhan
Here are some of the notable features of Sharekhan –
- Sharekhan is a full-service broker in India. This means that it charges brokerage on every trade in stocks that you place through it. However, for the brokerage charges, the app offers professional advice and guidance in picking the right stocks.
- You can open an online Demat account within 15 minutes with its hassle-free application process
- You can consult with experts and professionals to learn the skills of stock trading and to build your wealth
- Sharekhan uses fundamental and technical research philosophies to help you invest right
- Sharekhan charges INR 400 for Demat accounts after the first year of free service.
- It offers trading as well as Demat account opening entirely free.
- Other charges depend on the type of account that you open and the security that you trade-in.
- Calling as well as trading is completely free.
- You need to pay absolutely no charges for fund transfers made from banks to trading accounts or the other way round.
- Using Sharekhan users can have online classroom sessions for beginners as well as advance traders without paying a single penny.
- Being a part of Sharekhan is being a part of a huge chain across India.
- Its trading platform, Trade Tiger is available for free.
- You can invest in different types of securities and assets with a single account
- The platform doesn’t offer a typical three-in-one Demat account.
- You cannot place an order after trading time.
- Brokerage charges are much higher compared to other stock market app for beginners.
Do you have any questions related to Stock Market? Confused about how to start investing in Stock Market? Get instant answers from experts. Join Koppr Tribe Now! Download Koppr App
5) Motilal Oswal:
Available in Hindi, Gujarati as well as Tamil, Motilal Oswal has 22,00,000+ happy customers. The company was awarded as the best local brokerage firm in India at the Asia Money Brokers Poll 2020. Founded by Ramdeo Agarwal in 1987. Motilal Oswal currently has more than 30+ years of being in the Indian stock market. Since its inception, to date, they have burgeoned as a firm that currently serves:
- Retail customers
- High net worth investors
- Institutional investors
- Corporate clients
The firm has its presence in 2200+ locations and invests a significant amount of its profit in research and analysis.
Unique features of Motilal Oswal
Motilal Oswal also boasts of some unique features that list it among the best trading apps in India. Here’s a look at these features of Motilal Oswal –
- It offers you good trading platforms that are useful for all kinds of traders.
- The company has a decent amount of franchise network.
- It has a fund transfer facility with more than 60 banks.
- Motilal Oswal is a very established name in the Indian stock market.
- Its research reports are considered to be the best in class.
- The delivery brokerage of Motilal Oswal is 0.5 percent.
- Its Intraday and Futures charges are 0.05 percent.
- Options will cost you INR 100 per lot.
- Commodities will cost 0.5 percent and INR 20 per lot.
- The firm doesn’t charge a single penny for opening a trading/Demat account as well as maintaining it annually. However, its Demat account’s annual maintenance charges are INR 441.
- You can freely open an account and also not get charged with maintenance for the first year.
- You get a free personal trading advisor for choosing the right stocks to buy
- Expert stock recommendations can be availed free of cost
- You can invest in IPOs, NFOs, ETFs, commodities, gold, mutual funds, and futures and options besides stocks
- You get free research reports on leading stocks. These reports help you to make the right trading decisions to maximize your wealth.
- Does not offer a three-in-one Demat account.
- Its brokerage is a little bit on the higher end than other broker firms.
Each one of the above-mentioned applications has its own specialty. So, ask yourself a very important question before deciding the best stock market app for yourself i.e., what are some of the most vital features a trading app should contain? Then choose an app based on its benefits, pricing, and the securities that it offers to trade-in. With these 5 apps, however, you cannot go wrong.
Have you selected your stock market investing app? Then learn How to Pick the Best Stocks for the first investment. Enroll in the Course Now!
How to start investing with these apps
After you select from the best stock market apps in India, the next step is to start investing in stocks. To do so, here are the steps that you should follow –
- First, select the app with which you want to start your trading journey
- Download the app from the Google Play Store or Apple Store
- Open your account by entering your details. These details include your name, age, address, mobile number, email ID, PAN Card number, Aadhaar card number, etc.
- You also need to mention your bank account name, branch name, IFSC code, and bank account number to link your bank account with your online trading and Demat account
- You would have to verify your details using OTP sent to the mobile number and/or the email ID that you registered when filling in the online account opening form
- If any account opening fee is to be paid, the same should be paid through your net banking account or UPI ID
- The last step is to submit your documents and a digital signature. Most apps allow you to upload your documents online. Your signature can also be uploaded online on the app’s platform
- Once the account opening form is filled and the documents are uploaded, the stock trading app would verify your details and open a Demat and trading account in your name
- Some apps might open the accounts within minutes while some might take 1 or 2 trading days for the same.
Watch Our Video on Stock Market Investing
When you start your stock investment journey with any of these apps, here are few things that you should keep in mind –
- If you are a beginner, check the historic price trends of the stocks before you pick them. Research the stocks thoroughly so that you don’t go wrong in your choice. Many apps offer research reports and recommendations which you can peruse when picking stocks.
- Be patient with stock investments. The equity market is volatile. The stocks that you pick might become bearish. Try and hold onto them. They might recover with time and give good returns.
- Opt for diversification so that you can invest in stocks across market sectors for maximum profitability
- Keep abreast of the latest news and stories of the stock market. This would give you an insight into the right time to buy and sell stocks.
In fact, the last point is quite important. The stock market is an ever-changing universe. You need to know what is happening in the market daily so that you can change your position in stocks. Moreover, you should get your trading queries resolved with the help of experts. One app that lets you do this is the Koppr app.
Read Our Complete Guide on How to invest in stocks in India for trading or long-term investment?
6) The Koppr app – making a difference in stock trading:
With the Koppr app, you can plan your finances and get complete guidance on stock trading. The app also features the latest news that you can use to stay informed. Get access to –
- Trending topics
- Latest news
- Channels, etc.
Also, for any queries and help, you can connect with Koppr Tribes, a platform that brings you together with other stock investors and experts –
Lastly, you can take financial courses, test your knowledge by participating in quizzes, attend live financial workshops and do more with your investment journey. Have a look –
So, besides the apps for stock trading, Koppr can be the best complemental app to enhance your knowledge about the avenue. Download the Koppr app and stay updated with the latest happenings in the market which not only affects stock investments but also other avenues like mutual funds, bonds, gold, etc.
With a diversified portfolio, you need to be an all-rounder investor with knowledge of different avenues and how they are affected by market movements.
Koppr lets you do just that. So download the Koppr app and start stock trading with complete knowledge of the stock market. After all, knowledge is a powerful thing, a factor that can make or break your portfolio.